Here’s what happened.
It is now being reported that Kia has recalled 410,000 of its vehicles due to issues that could prevent their airbags from properly deploying during crashes.
The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration wrote on their website, “The Air Bag Control Unit (ACU) cover may contact a memory chip on the printed circuit board and damage the electrical circuit. Circuit damage may result in deactivated airbags that will not deploy in a crash.”
Here are the affected vehicles courtesy of Fox:
- Soul vehicles manufactured from July 25, 2016 through Dec. 24, 2018, 2017-2019
- Sedona vehicles manufactured from July 12, 2016 through Jan. 10, 2019, 2017-2019
- Soul EV vehicles manufactured from May 18, 2017 through Sept. 28, 2018, 2017-2018
- Forte vehicles manufactured from March 2, 2017 through July 27, 2018
- All 2017 model year Forte Koup vehicles manufactured on Oct. 4, 2016
So far, no fatal injuries have been reported as a result of any airbag failures.
Kia vehicle owners will be notified by mail starting March 21st or you can call the customer service directly at 1-800-333-4542.